Saturday, July 23, 2011

Screen printing.


I graduated Savannah College of Art and Design in 1993 with a B.F.A. in Fiber arts.  Sounds kinda silly but fun as heck! Fiber Arts included screen-printing, repeat pattern design, dyeing, weaving, sewing and paper making. I went to their website and it looks so modern! So state of the art! What I recall is being taught almost archaic methods in dilapidated buildings. I remember printing with contact paper, no computers at all. That is how I work today and it's what I like. Paper, markers, copiers, white out and scotch tape! My focus was screen printing and I wanted to print t-shirts and repeated pattern for yardage But, I was not career focused and became a snowboard bum and fish worker, for like, forever and moved way too much. What really got me back on track to printing, was the book Print Liberation: the screen printing primer.  Check this company out. Very clever, funny and the snowman hit and run videos are, well, funny. Living in a 3 story house with a basement was key, too. We put together a studio with a wash out basin, dark box, exposure area and one color press, then later, a 4 color press. Ryan (carpenter boyfriend) built this himself, with the help of free blueprints I found online. I ♡ screen printing!
the good book


4 color press
m.j. posters

2 color bandanas

detail of press/ turnstyle

my trusty lux

sage advice

pegboard rules

pressure washers rock

big bucket of black

squeegees


the darkbox

the darkbox in action

exposure unit

exposed screens

press in action

one color press

wash out basin

No comments:

Post a Comment